Steve Watkins on beavers of the creek

It's odd when you think about it, but beavers -- an animal historically found in abundance across North America, and that played a significant role in shaping its topography -- are now controversial.  Some people just hate 'em. So I'm sharing this excellent essay by my friend, prolific author Steve Watkins, on the beavers of Accokeek Creek. Accokeek is a tributary of Potomac Creek, which is itself a tributary of the Potomac River. 

Steve and his wife Janet founded Pie and Chai magazine in 2022. I was honored to publish my essay, "Enter the Coyote," in their inaugural issue. 

Steve and I share similar interests and concerns, and our research on the local environmental scene often overlaps (he cites me in his article). Beavers are extraordinarily valuable animals, ecologically speaking. Few people, however, are aware of their value. The amount of hostility they face is ludicrous. To learn more about this wonderful creature, check out the sources listed at the end of Steve's essay. 


Comments

Most read post